I think I thought I could escape. My boredom, my idleness, my sickness, my procrastination. If I didn’t write about my days spent at the GMC typing, at home reading, at Tyler’s house socializing, at the bureau killing time, I might not have to own up to it later. Funny, the residue of guilt. It does not fade with time, it does not respond to deliberate attempts of suppression.
Honestly, I was ill. Whether or not cold viruses exist in the Sahara or not, my nose, head, throat and lungs were full of sickness. My voice was out of commission for a day and a half, my sense of balance was actually worse than Larium-normal. For this, my inactivity was somewhat justified.
Somewhat.
Unfortunately, guiltily, this justification began to wear thin come Thursday. Now that it’s Monday, I have run out of reasons but not yet out of excuses.
I procrastinate!
I hate it!
I had a conversation with my coordinator yesterday and it was characteristically wonderful. His encouragement is unflagging, his giggles infectious, his expectations motivating… and daunting. “If you were a perfect volunteer, which you are, this is what you’d do…” Right. Perfect in that I poured through a thousand plus page Stephen King novel last week? Perfect in that I threw two dinner parties and attended another, none of which were with families or teachers or neighbors like I planned? Perfect in that I rationalize my GMC computer time by typing my plan d’action (program for the year) and planning my calendar with fancy software? What’s the use if I plan more than I do? Anticipate more than I accomplish.
I procrastinate!
I hate it!
I meant to unearth all my notes from stage, written when I was still motivated and bright-eyed with ideas and delusions of grandeur. So I could remind myself why I was here, what I had planned, when I had hoped to accomplish the myriad goals set in the heat of July and August. Meant to. As in didn’t.
Monday, October 16, 2006
Why leave tomorrow what you can criticize today?
Posted by
Ellen
at
2:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment